Recovering better for an equitable & sustainable world
GENEVA PEACE TALKS 2021
21 september 2021
4:00 – 5:30 PM CEST
Livestreamed Online from Room XVIII, Palais des Nations, Geneva
You can change language using the globe icon in the player.
As we heal from the pandemic and settle into a new “normal”, the 2021 Geneva PeaceTalks invites us to create some time and space for peace. How can a wider reflection on peace help us as we move forward as a collective?
The 9th edition of the Geneva PeaceTalks will be held on Tuesday 21 September 2021, the International Day of Peace. The event will be livestreamed online from the Palais des Nations in Geneva.
This year’s edition of the Geneva PeaceTalks is organized under the theme of “Recovering Better for an Equitable and Sustainable World”. In 2021, as we heal from the COVID-19 pandemic, we are inspired to think creatively and collectively about how to help everyone recover better, how to build resilience, and how to transform our world into one that is more equal, more just, equitable, inclusive, sustainable, and healthier.
Through short talks, eleven speakers from different walks of life and different parts of the globe will tell their stories addressing different aspects of the overall theme. Each speaker will share their tangible learnings and ideas drawn from their experiences in the fields of climate change, dance, education, health, music and peacebuilding.
Their stories will inspire and spark a discussion on how each and every one of us can contribute to alleviating and finding solutions to the crises our societies face.
The event will be livestreamed in English and French.
The Geneva PeaceTalks will feature the following twelve speakers:
- Zarifa Ghafari, Human Rights Activist, politician and entrepreneur, Ex-mayor of Maidan Shahr and Director of a Department of the Ministry of Defense of Afghanistan.
- Yves Daccord, Executive Chairman Harvard’s Edgelands Institute & former Director General of the International Committee of the Red Cross and Hiba Qasas, Head of Secretariat of the Principles for Peace Initiative at Interpeace.
- Diwele Molale Lubi, choreographer, dance artist, conference speaker, teacher and artistic director at Matlosana Centre for the Arts.
- Lena Dobrowolska & Teo Ormond-Skeaping, an artist collaboration working with photography, documentary and narrative film, virtual reality, installation and research.
- Baaba Maal, singer, guitarist and founder of the NANN-K foundation.
- Anil Soni, CEO of the WHO Foundation interviewed by Charlotte Kirby, Vice President of Global Strategic Relations at Salesforce.
- Héloïse Hughes, Kareem Gomersall and Ksenia Vlasova-Kuznetsova, three high school students from the International School of Geneva and co-founders of the student-led PeaceTalks Club.
- Opening remarks by António Guterres, ninth Secretary-General of the United Nations.
- Special remarks by Tatiana Valovaya, 13th Director-General of the United Nations Office at Geneva.
- The event will be moderated by Sarah Noble, curator of the PeaceTalks, and Karen Chica Gómez, Afro-Ecuadorian activist and student at Graduate Institute Geneva.
Meet the people of the 2021 Geneva Peace Talks